Here at Southland Physical Therapy we understand that the geriatric population requires us to focus on optimizing function for the aging adult. As we age, our bodies undergo wear and tear. Although this is a normal process it sometimes leads to pain and disability, causing patients to limit their activity or stop doing what they enjoy. Geriatric physical therapy has been found effective in improving strength, mobility, and balance to help the aging individual build confidence in staying active. There are many reasons to consult your doctor about the benefits of physical therapy.
Treatment will focus on a patient’s specific goals. Research shows that individual treatment programs at any age can help restore mobility, reduce pain, increase strength and improve fitness levels.
Geriatric conditions treated by physical therapy:
- Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Osteopenia and osteoporosis
- Joint replacement and other orthopaedic surgeries
- Neurologic disorders; Stroke, Parkinson’s, Multiple Sclerosis, Vestibular and Balance disorders
- Overweight and obesity
- Generalized weakness and loss of function
- Fall Risk and Balance